Tuesday, November 6, 2007

The Diving Bell and The Butterfly Reflection

I would have to say that I have mixed feelings about this particular book. The parts that I do like however are just the basics of this story; the amazing story of how a man who wrote an entire book about his looked in syndrome only being able to blink his left eyelid; to me that's inspiring and proves the statement nothing is impossible. While other students may think that the metaphors used to describe situations in this novel are confusing and out of place, I find them to be very descriptive and show the true workings of his state of being as well as his thought process. Even though there is so little for him to do, he shows his readers that his physical state of being can never stop his mind from flying free as a butterfly would.

The aspects of this novel that I did not like would be when the author would be talking about present day, and then all of a sudden we'd switch into his dream world without warning or a transition. Bauby would constantly be switching from the present time frame from which the story was written to his fantasy dream world, and then suddenly to his past. Some of those parts to me seemed choppy or unconnected from the memoir; I do agree that most in the end did tie in somehow to his current state either emotionally or they would help explain the reasoning behind his current relations with these people. Jean Bauby wrote an amazing life story that I'm sure has inspired many; and without even knowing it proved the old saying, "nothing is impossible if you put your mind to it." Also he reminded us that we should never let our minds become like a diving bell, but they should fly freely as a butterfly would. There are no limitations to your imagination.

No comments: